OUGD603: Design Publication Development

by Roxxie Blackham on Sunday 10 May 2015

After much discussion with peers at uni, I decided to paint some typography onto a mirror as I thought that I could play with the idea of "reflecting my personal practice" by literally using an object that causes reflections.

At first I thought of painting an entire quote onto the mirror that reflects me, but then I thought why not paint just the word "practice" so that the mirror literally "reflects the practice"?!

I went into Headingley and looked round loads of charity shops to find a mirror to use. I decided that finding the surface first meant that the design will be produced to compliment the mirror that I choose.

I found this really cool 60s style mirror with frame and had to buy it!


Because of the structural form of the mirror and the colour of the frame, I decided that sans serif lettering would work really well. I've also recently gained a bit of an obsession with beveled typefaces and thought that the structural shape of this kind of lettering would compliment the structure of the mirror.




I also really love work by Daisy Emerson as she uses beveled typefaces in a lot of her work and the colours work really well with the letterforms!! She's definitely a huge inspiration for the style of this project!

I decided to play around with the word practice to see how it could be used on the mirror.


I also thought that playing with colours would be a good idea, as once I paint there's no looking back!





I really like how the letters look when bevelled and coloured in with pastel pinks and violets.

I decided to cut the letters out and see how they would look on the mirror. Unfortunately i had drawn them quite small, so they looked a bit weird when positioned on such a large mirror!



But as this was only an experiment it didn't matter too much.

I then thought that maybe the grey sections of the letters could actually be the reflection of the mirror, so I set about cutting the grey out of each letterform..



I quite liked this idea, as it incorporated the mirror into my design more!





Maybe I could even go that step further and paint over the rest of the mirror so that you only get some of the reflective mirror in the lettering rather than around it as well???

Leave your comment