OUGD603: End of Module Evaluation

by Roxxie Blackham on Friday 22 May 2015

I found this entire module very intimidating - it was the first time I was left to my own devices and asked to come up with a large quantity of briefs by myself. Although it's good to have your independence and learn how to work on your own, I think that I personally would have definitely benefitted from a bit more guidance.

I found that the workshops that were organised over this module were extremely inspiring and helpful for me. I really enjoyed being able to speak to creatives and work with people who have years of experience in the industry.

Looking back over this module made me realise that I had actually produced a good amount of work. After my last couple of tutorials, I left feeling really worried and like I hadn't done enough work, but it was just because I had forgotten about all the stuff I had done as some briefs were completed months ago! I have improved upon a wide range of my design skills and gained more of an insight into various areas of design that I never knew that I was so interested in - for example I absolutely loved working on the Lunasol brief and could happily be an art director for photoshoots or something similar in the future! I think that I'd like to get some experience within the fashion industry in the near future.

I think that this module was a complete rollercoaster of emotions and motivation for me. I was going through a lot of personal things for a few months during this module, which definitely effected my work ethic and made me feel demotivated leading me to engaging less with my work and the course. However, in the last couple of months my motivation started to regain and I found myself working harder than I ever have worked in the last couple of weeks leading up to submission, which I never would have seen myself doing a couple of months ago.

I have learnt a lot about myself and my passions over this year, and have come to find that I no longer want to work in a Graphic Design studio. I am keen to see what working in set design and interactive installations would be like, as I want to get my hands dirty and do something conceptual. I actually have an internship coming up this summer in this sector with Isabel and Helen in London. I can't wait for this internship as I'd like to get out of the typical Graphic Design environment, because I've studied the subject for 5 years now and feel as though I need a change and need to get off of my computer and work to my strengths, which are within crafts and using my hands.

I'm not going to lie, I've definitely enjoyed this year the least and found it more difficult than I ever thought uni could be. But it has been a huge learning experience and I have finally started to come to terms with what I want to do when I leave! I can't wait to work on the final show and produce something that I really love that doesn't have to fit into any learning criteria or ISOs. It will be really nice to let my creative passions run free without any limitations.

Leave your comment